I make a lot of desert dishes but I don’t have that much of a sweet tooth. I know, I’m very wierd! If I was given a choice between cheese and chocolate, I’d choose cheese every time – especially if it was triple cream brie!
But, I do like chocolate. And for my birthday last year, I made these delicious white chocolate mud cupcakes from taste.com. I didn’t like the pink ganache frosting in their recipe so I made my own ganache. I also changed the recipe a little (as usual). They were gooooooooooood!
125g butter, chopped
100g white chocolate, chopped finely
215g caster sugar
1 egg, lightly whisked
190g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Preheat the oven to 160C. Yes, it’s a bit cooler than normal because the sugar in the chocolate can burn easily.
Add the butter, chocolate, sugar and milk to a saucepan. Doesn’t look very appetising does it?
Place the mixture into cupcake pans. Fill to about 2/3 full so there’s room for the ganache.
Bake for 20 – 25 mins until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
When they come out of the oven, they’ll be domed but they will sink back to give a flat surface perfect for frosting!
220g white chocolate
(I didn’t want the ganache to be too hard so I added more cream than usual.)
Chop the chocolate finely. Heat the cream on the stove until almost boiling. Pour over the chocolate and leave for 2 minutes so the heat can infuse.
Stir until smooth.
Note: you can add a teaspoon of glucose to the ganache to give it a shinier appearance. Just put it in with chocolate before you pour over the warm cream.
When the cupcakes are cool, spread a layer of ganache over the top and leave to set for 1 hour (if you can wait that long!).
- 125g butter, chopped
- 100g white chocolate, chopped finely
- 215g caster sugar
- 125ml milk
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 190g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 220g white chocolate
- 125ml cream
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Add the butter, 100g white chocolate, sugar and milk to a saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring, until the chocolate is melted.
- Pour into a mixing bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the egg and vanilla essence.
- Sieve in the flour and whisk until just combined – don’t mix too much or they’ll be tough.
- Place the mixture into cupcake pans. Fill to about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20 – 25 mins until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Chop the remaining 220g chocolate finely.
- Heat the cream on the stove until almost boiling.
- Pour over the chopped chocolate and leave for 2 minutes so the heat can infuse.
- Stir until smooth.
- When the cupcakes are cool, spread a layer of ganache over the top and leave to set for 1 hour.